Meta Platforms has reached a settlement with a US school district that accused the company of contributing to a youth mental health crisis through the design of its social media platforms, avoiding what would have been a closely watched federal trial in California.
The Breathitt County School District in Kentucky had filed suit against Meta, along with TikTok, Snap Inc. and Google’s YouTube, alleging that the companies knowingly designed addictive platforms that fuel anxiety, depression and self-harm among students. The district was seeking around $60 million in damages, along with funding for programmes aimed at addressing the impact of social media use in schools.
The case had been selected as a test trial in a broader wave of litigation involving more than 1,200 school districts across the United States. It was scheduled to begin in mid-June in federal court in Oakland, California, as part of a multi-district proceeding.
A Meta spokesperson confirmed the agreement on Thursday, saying the matter had been “resolved amicably.” The terms of the settlement were not disclosed, and Meta will avoid taking part in the upcoming trial. Legal proceedings against other tech companies involved in similar claims continue, including a separate bellwether case scheduled for August.
Lawyers representing the school district said the settlement does not end the wider litigation effort. “Our focus remains on pursuing justice for the remaining 1,200 school districts who have filed cases,” attorneys Lexi Hazam, Previn Warren, Chris Seeger and Ronald Johnson said in a joint statement.
The Breathitt County case was part of a growing legal push in the US seeking to hold social media companies financially responsible for the alleged mental health impacts of their products. Plaintiffs argue that platforms were deliberately engineered to maximise user engagement, particularly among teenagers, at the expense of psychological wellbeing.
Earlier cases have already produced mixed outcomes. A Los Angeles jury awarded $6 million in damages to a young plaintiff who claimed she became addicted to social media as a child, a ruling Meta and Google have said they intend to appeal. Snap and TikTok had previously settled that case before trial.
Meta has defended its practices, pointing to tools such as Instagram Teen Accounts, introduced to give parents more oversight and limit exposure to harmful content. The company says these measures are part of ongoing efforts to improve safety for younger users.
However, critics argue such safeguards remain insufficient. Some researchers and former employees have raised concerns that platform design still prioritises engagement over wellbeing, with one Meta whistleblower stating that systems built to capture attention can lead to harmful user experiences.
The settlement comes as scrutiny of social media companies intensifies in the United States, with multiple lawsuits and upcoming trials expected to further test the industry’s responsibility in addressing youth mental health concerns.
